“Doctor’s plea for trees”, The Age, 19/2. Dr. Greg Moore says that the trees which make Melbourne and its suburbs such a pleasant place are fast disappearing, decimated by both drought and overdevelopment. The replacement of trees and gardens with paved-over landscaping makes the microclimate surrounding a house hotter, and ultimately urban areas will be hotter. A landscape denuded of trees will turn into a desert; forests help attract rain. I wonder if the dramatic drop in rainfall over the last decade or so is related to the smothering of the land around Melbourne with housing estates comprising huge “McMansions” with no room for gardens like older-style houses had.
A reader’s letter in response:
Threatened species?
Dr. Greg Moore is so right when he states just how important trees are in our gardens and the danger all trees are in due to the drought (The Age, 19/2). The drought is not the only cause of the lack of trees. The area I live in was once full of lovely trees and gardens but now is being taken over by huge houses and hideous extensions to existing homes that take up the whole block. No room for trees or shrubs, just plenty of concrete.
No wonder they all need noisy air-conditioners running day and night.
– Linda Jarvis, North Balwyn
In contrast is another article, “Objectors do Melbourne no favours”, The Age, 20/2, accusing many residents of being “NIMBYs” who are being irrational in objecting to development. I wrote an irate letter in response, so I’ll see if it gets published (if not, I’ll post it below).