21 February 2009

Growth is a problem, not a “challenge”

I saw a magazine ad for some energy company called Chevron, whose wording irked me as while they noted that the human population would grow in the future, they merely said that more energy would be required to satiate the needs of these numbers, nothing about reducing growth so less energy is required (of course, they stand to profit from increased energy demands). Text of the ad (there is a similar page on their site):

With our planet’s population continuing to increase, and the quality of life for millions in the developing world improving daily, our demand for energy is also growing. And to meet everyone’s needs 25 years from now may take 50% more energy than we use today.

Finding and developing all the fuel and power we need for our homes, businesses and vehicles, while protecting the environment, could be one of the greatest challenges our generation will face.

The key to ensuring success is found in the same place that created this need: humanity itself. When the unique spirit we all possess is allowed to flourish, mankind has proven its ability to take on, and overcome, any issue. It’s a spirit of hard work, ingenuity, drive, courage and no small measure of commitment. To success, to each other, to the planet.

The problem becomes the solution. This human energy that drives us to succeed has been there every day since the beginning.

And it will be with us to shape many tomorrows to come.

So join us in tapping the most powerful source of energy in the world. Ourselves.

And watch what the human race can do.

It’s a rather vaguely-worded feel-good ode to the “human spirit”. I might feel some respect for humanity if it manages to aquire the self-discipline to control its growth so it stops devouring the Earth’s finite resources like a metastasizing cancer. In all honesty I have little hope for this; I feel only a ruling Artificial Intelligence or some alien invaders would be able to impose such discipline to stop humanity destroying itself.

I hope there are some scientists out there who have the same concerns and would be able to secretly work on projects such as:

  • Creating some sort of virus that would sterilize most of humanity;
  • Creating an artificial intelligence that would take over ruling the world from humanity. The film I, Robot (which I enjoyed) featured an A.I. “…who had developed an interpretation of the Three Laws which supported the robots’ becoming a benevolent dictatorship, preventing humans from self-destructive behavior such as crime or environmental damage, to ensure humanity’s survival.” Predictably (and disappointingly), the A.I. was defeated.

If I were a billionaire, I would secretly finance projects such as these (as is done in some novels and movies). But I am not.