My letter got published in The Age! :-) I’ll buy a copy and keep the page. The letter was retitled but otherwise wasn’t edited (I kept it short and to the point).
“23,000 Brits head to Australia”, Herald-Sun 3/3. Article on the high rate of British immigration to Australia. I found this comment by one new arrival significant:
“Britain is a difficult place to live in at the moment – it’s overcrowded, congested, difficult to get around,” he said. “The economy is not doing that brilliantly, there’s a lot of red tape. What we’ve got down here is space, it’s a great country to explore.”
If our high rates of immigration continue, Australia will end up in the same situation as Britain! Much of Australia is infertile desert and thus uninhabitable (not to mention the ongoing drought), so we can’t support a large population – something politicians don’t seem to understand (or want to). (Posted at Public Population Forum.)