01 March 2008

Hate the HIA

State urged to release land to ease crisis”, The Age, 1/3. The Housing Industry Association is urging the Victorian Government to release more land for housing – not surprising as the greedy bastards stand to make money out of constructing more and more houses. I guess they won’t be content until Victoria is smothered in housing estates? Missing in all the agonizing over rising house prices is that a major cause of this is the growing population – something which the Government is deliberately encouraging and which is eroding the liveability of Melbourne. (Posted this at the Public Population Forum.)

I also sent off a slightly more civil version (removed the “greedy bastards” phrase) to The Age letters – I don’t know if it will get published; it is my first attempt at writing a letter there. The topic is of great concern to me though, and I have to vent somewhere.

A house 2 doors down from us was auctioned today; I am dreading its fate (i.e. likely demolition and replacing with ugly townhouses). I am so sick of this constant overdevelopment and degradation of a once-pleasant suburb.